Various Artists - Free Zone Appleby 2002 - 2CD
Regular price $42.99 CAD
Regular priceUnit price per
- Solos, duos, trios, quartets and an octet of free improvisation.
- Performers include: Evan Parker, John Edwards, Sylvia Hallett, Marcio Mattos, Neil Metcalfe, John Rangecroft, Mark Sanders, Philipp Wachsmann.
- Personnel: Evan Parker (soprano saxophone, gong); Philipp Wachsmann (violin, electronics); Sylvia Hallett (violin); Marcio Mattos (cello); Neil Metcalfe (flute); John Rangecroft (clarinet); Mark Sanders (percussion).
- Recording information: Ancient Space, St. Michael's Church, Appleby, England (07/28/2002).
- Photographer: Caroline Forbes.
- This double-CD set documents the "Free Zone" feature of the 2002 Appleby Jazz Festival. All these performances were captured live at the acoustically rich St. Michael's Church in Appleby (England). A pool of eight free improvisers, some well-known (Evan Parker, Philipp Wachsmann, Marcio Mattos, John Edwards, Mark Sanders) and others still cruelly under-recorded (Neil Metcalfe, John Rangecroft, Sylvia Hallett), spontaneously combine their skills in a series of ad hoc duets, trios, quartets, and a final octet. It is not said if the pieces are presented in the order of performance, but considering the symmetry with which each disc unfolds, one guesses that some editing and sequencing came into play to make the listening experience more pleasurable.
- Each CD starts with a solo performance: Hallett's captivating voice-and-violin dirge "Whitethroat" and Edwards' bass solo "Pin Drop." Then the groups gradually grow larger. With a total duration of over 150 minutes,